This is the first year this survey tried to understand teen behavior using cell phones. Highlighting the fact that majority of the teen now have a cell phone (over 70%).
Some of the key results include:
- 91% of teens surveyed have email address
- 73% have a cell phone while 59% have a digital camera (today majority of cell phone, over 70%, have a built in camera, higher percentage in North America and Western Europe)
- 72% have profiles on social networking sites and 60% have an instant messenger screen name
- More than one third (1/3) of teens surveyed have been cyberbullied, perpetrated cyberbullying or know of friend who have experience or perpetrated it.
- 19% (20% from survey of 1280 teens) have engaged in sexting --sending, receiving, or forwarding. 81% of teen sexters are under 18.
- 19% of teens surveyed go online via their cell phone (26-30% teens according to mmetrics and other)
Some Interesting quotes from John Walsh.
"Teens are not only online, they are active in every nuance of cyberspace. Many have no controls over what they do online and of those who do, nearly 30 percent figure ways around the boundaries set by their parents," said